How to Keep Kids Safe Around Pools and Spas
Despite the fact winter is well and truly upon us here in Victoria, now would be the perfect time to consider evaluating the safety of your pool or spa, in particular the safety barrier that separates you, your friends and family from the potential dangers of drowning.
In Australia, it goes without saying, we love the water, but that certainly doesn’t save us from the harsh realities of an alarming national increase in drowning deaths, particularly of young children in backyard pools and spas.
The Royal Life Saving Society’s annual drowning report recorded 271 deaths due to drowning last year, with 26 of those of preschool-aged. That was a 30 per cent increase on the 20 young children who died in the previous year, representing one in 10 drowning deaths.
Our friends over at houzz.com.au have put together a comprehensive list of the BEST ways to improve the safety of your loved ones around pools and spas.
Pool Fencing Rules in Victoria
All swimming pools and spas on residential properties in Victoria with a depth greater than 30cm (300mm) are required to be surrounded by a safety barrier (e.g. a pool fence).
- If a Victorian residential pool or spa has a depth of 30cm or more (300mm), it is required to be surrounded by safety barrier. This includes inflatable pools.
- All pools and spas built after 2010 require a four sided barrier (isolation fence), with no direct access from the house or any other building to the pool or spa.
- Safety barriers must be a minimum of 1.2 metres high.
- Barrier gates must be self-closing and self-latching.
- It is illegal to leave a pool or spa gate propped open.
- Climbable objects such as pot plants, eskies, pool pumps and chairs must be moved away from the barrier.
Have you found an issue with your pool safety, or simply need to upgrade the look and feel of your pool fence? If you have, we would love to here from you at Frameless Impressions, Melbourne’s leading supplier of frameless pool fences. Please get in touch with us today by calling 1300 769 993
Get in Touch